Sunday, August 1, 2010

Climbing Mt. Everest

Yes, it's another one of those disguised blogs. You know, one where I can't divulge the name of the person I'm blogging about because of the embarrassment factor.

Anyway, for this blog, I am going to call my blog victim, Kipsy. Kipsy and (I'll call her husband) QuaQua were traveling to Atlanta, Georgia for a vacation. Kipsy was looking forward to her trip, and one of the highlights of her trip was going to be climbing Mt. Everest.

Screech to halt.

Mt. Everest is in Georgia?

And now I'm blushing because, to be honest, geography was one of my worst subjects in school. As a matter of fact, when my son was in high school and wanted to visit Colombia (with his girlfriend at the time, whose family was from Colombia), I wanted to know where he was going to be staying. So I pulled out my atlas and searched for it. My atlas didn't show it and I was curious to know why.

Once I discovered my mistake (I had incorrectly spelled it C-o-l-U-m-b-i-a), I was able to approach the editor of the newspaper where I worked and ask him why Colombia was misspelled in the TITLE of an article, but Colombia was spelled correctly IN the article itself.

You know what he said? (I'm not making this up.) "Because that's the way some people spell it."

I wanted to scream, "YEAH, PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPELL IT SPELL IT THAT WAY (people like me before I learned how to spell it)!

But anyway, getting back to the point of the blog, I had absolutely no idea whatsoever where Mt. Everest was, but I was fairly certain it wasn't in Georgia. I thought it was in Switzerland. Shame on me, I know. But how the heck can I disguise myself in my own blog?

So where is Mt. Everest? I'm sure most of you know, but for those of you who don't, I'll tell you. According to wikipedia.org, Mt. Everest  "is the world's highest mountain above sea level at 8,848 metres (29,029 ft). Part of the Himalaya range in Asia, it is located on the border between Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal, and Tibet, China."

So there you have it. And, in case you're wondering and in case you are as geographically  challenged as I am (though I'm learning more about the world through my son whose job as a U.S. Marine has taken him to various countries around the world), the mountain Kipsy and her husband QuaQua climbed, was Stone Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment