Friday, December 14, 2012

Grandma is So Annoying!

Nolan, Avery, and Audrey


When I'm around kids, I tend to sing – a lot – nothing you would know, mind you, because I make up my own songs, and I don't have a very good voice, but I can't help myself. I have a macaroni and cheese song, for instance, and others that just come to me as I work around the kitchen.

I think the reason I sing is because I find it hard to concentrate even when what I'm making is something simple. In large groups, I often sing in my head, just to avoid the distraction of other people who will confuse me just by their presence. 

Holidays are especially difficult, because I might be preparing several things at once, and I usually forget at least one item because somebody interrupted my train of thought. Whenever that train leaves the station I'm pretty much assured that it will make several stops along the way and just stay where it lands regardless of where the destination was supposed to bring me. This past Thanksgiving, for instance, I forgot the stuffing.

Anyway, I'd like to share with you my annoying habit. Here is me singing to myself as I grab slices of bread, peanut butter, jelly, a spoon, and a knife so that Audrey and Nolan can make their own PB&J sandwiches (remember, I'm singing – repeatedly) – so here, for your enjoyment (or agitation), is my song (you'll have to make up your own tune):

A spoon and a knife and a spoon and a knife and a spoon and a knife and a spoon.
A spoon and a knife and a spoon and a knife and a spoon and a knife and a spoon.
A spoon and a knife
A spoon and a knife
And a spoon and a knife and a spoon

In my defense, if I hadn't sung to myself, I might have forgotten the spoon and the knife (remember the stuffing?)



After I sang the song, I heard this:

Nolan: (to me after about the fifth time of hearing the song) You're being annoying.

Audrey: (to Nolan) You're being mean.

Nolan: (to Audrey, agitated) I'm not being mean.

Me: Nolan, do you really think I'm being annoying?

Nolan: Yeah. But I'm not being mean; you're really being annoying.

I love that my grandkids are so honest.

Want to read more from this author? Please see the sidebar and THANK YOU for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. And I thought I was the only one who did this! I see now I am in good company. Love the analogy with the train--I am sooo there!

    ReplyDelete