Monday, January 26, 2009

Penguins and Peacocks



I was so excited to see penguins living down the street from my new home that I called all my friends and told all my family members about what I had seen.

Everybody always throws buckets of negativity on my news.

PENGUINS?! PENGUINS???? They snarled.

Yes, penguins, I insisted. Just a couple of blocks from my home live lots of penguins. And get this – there's even an albino penguin.

I'm sure at this point everybody was wondering just how that might look, because what I meant, after all, was peacocks, not penguins. It's just like when I call my dishwasher the microwave. I don't mean microwave. I just say microwave.

Reminds me of the time a friend of mine and I played hangman (see drawing). How could she not guess (it was so obvious) "potato couch"...

I think the synapses that make connections in my brain are cross-wired. I used to wonder why nobody understood me. Now I know.

Over the weekend I had the chance to visit a friend I hadn't seen in a long time (sadly, this is the way it is with ALL my friends). Barbara handed me a little gift, a penguin (see red arrow above), to remind me of the difference between that and a peacock. Just so happens she was the friend who caught my hangman mistake.

I should probably label all of my appliances too, so that I can relay the information correctly. 

By the way, though I tell everybody that I do, I really don't cook in my dishwasher. 
penguin

2 comments:

  1. And you actually can bake fish wrapped in tin foil in the dishwasher -- remember the Galloping Gourmet?? Dishwasher baked fish was one of his recipes.

    ReplyDelete